[tor-talk] Using Tor Browser with non-Tor proxies?

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Nov 24 07:12:00 UTC 2017

Ivan Vilata-i-Balaguer:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At the [CENO2 project](https://censorship.no/) we're developing a
> distributed system to enable P2P cooperation between its users to
> circumvent web censorship, both by providing P2P routing and caching of
> previously accessed content.
>
> Since the user's requests may at some point hit untrusted machines (the
> requests themselves or a simplified version of them may be cached when
> caching content), we considered it reasonable to keep an eye on requests
> and maybe anonymize them to some extent before sending them to the
> network.
>
> Since the main entry point to the system will usually be a web proxy, we
> were wondering whether it would make sense to use the Tor Browser and
> leverage all the great efforts already put into it to take care of such
> anonymization of requests, instead of reinventing the wheel ourselves.

Could you elaborate on what you mean with "anonymization of requests"?

> Do you think it makes sense to use the Tor Browser with a different
> proxy than Tor?  Is there some technical hurdle (i.e. some source code
> modification) that would prevent it from working?

Yes, you would need to patch Tor Browser to adapt it to your needs.
There have been a lot of requests in the past for being able to use Tor
Browser and its defenses without Tor. There are folks that stepped up
and made this happen. Look at all the jondobrowser- repos at
https://github.com/jondos.

Georg