[tor-talk] Mimix, an operating system inside the main OS

George george at queair.net
Thu Nov 9 22:23:00 UTC 2017

Franps:
> https://www.networkworld.com/article/3236064/servers/minix-the-most-popular-os-in-the-world-thanks-to-intel.amp.html
>
>  You might not know it, but inside your Intel system, you have an
> operating system running in addition to your main OS, MINIX. And it’s
> raising eyebrows and concerns

Without question, the revelations about Intel ME are shocking. Sort of
like we've known has existed on smart phones for a long while.

The article seems to note that it's only an issue for the "last few
years" when I believe it's been found as far back as the Thinkpad x200
(~year 2000), at least.

There are a number of tools on GitHub looking to mitigate ME, such as
intelmetool, me-tools and me_cleaner, but one should be EXTREMELY
careful about running them as bricking hardware is a real possibility.

Oddly, the article seems to cast Minix as tainted, while Tanenbaum is
*really* someone who matters in operating system land in a good way, and
everyone should realize that the original Linux was a Minix derivative.

34A6 0A1F F8EF B465 866F F0C5 5D92 1FD1 ECF6 1682