[tor-talk] New report: The State of Internet Censorship in Thailand

Maria Xynou maria at openobservatory.org
Mon Mar 20 12:49:39 UTC 2017

Hello,

Today, in collaboration with Sinar Project and the Thai Netizen Network,
the OONI project published a research report on "*The State of Internet
Censorship in Thailand*".

You can view our joint report here:
https://ooni.torproject.org/post/thailand-internet-censorship/

Over the last 4 months, ooniprobe was run across 16 local vantage points
in Thailand, through which we collected and analyzed thousands of
network measurements with the aim of examining and uncovering recent
censorship events in the country. Our study also includes an examination
of Thailand's legal environment and network landscape.

The key findings of our study *confirm the blocking of 13 websites* in
Thailand across 6 different ISPs, including the following types of sites:

- *News outlets* (*nypost.com* and *dailymail.co.uk*)

- *wikileaks.org*

- *Circumvention tool sites* (such as hotspotshield.com)

- Pornography

Thai ISPs appear to primarily be implementing censorship through *DNS
hijacking* and through the use of *middle boxes* (HTTP transparent
proxies) which serve block pages. Since sites were not found to be
blocked across all networks, /Thai ISPs appear to be blocking websites
at their own discretion. //

/On a positive note, the Tor network, WhatsApp, and Facebook Messenger
were found to be accessible across all 16 networks in Thailand where
tests were run during the testing period (6th November 2016 - 27th
February 2017).

Given the limited transparency around information controls in Thailand
and their potential for abuse, we encourage public debate based on the
findings of this study.

Finally, we thank the OTF and Access Now for funding this research. We
also thank all the anonymous and brave volunteers in Thailand who have
run and continue to run ooniprobe, thus making this research possible.

Please contact us with any questions you may have! Feedback is always
welcome.

~ The OONI team.

--
Maria Xynou