[tor-talk] A Pluggable Transport based on i2p?

m.ajiao at tuta.io m.ajiao at tuta.io
Thu Mar 16 00:44:06 UTC 2017

You might be able to hide the fact that you are using Tor, but there is no pluggable transports for I2P you can use to hide the fact that you are using I2P, at least to my knowledge. When I2P developers talk about "anonymity", they are talking about the difficulty to determine what did you do on I2P. Router IPs are still visible. Exposing router IPs is okay in places where a lot of people are using I2P to do different kind of things, but in places where I2P is rarely used, for example, China, it is very suspicious to use I2P in a frequent manner without protection. I use I2P with a VPN.

Another disappointing aspect of I2P is that there is no "preferable" implementation. The Java implementation runs on a potentially vulnerable runtime environment. The C++ implementation, I2Pd, is still error-prone. I was playing with the SAM protocol of I2Pd. When I typed some control characters by pressing some Ctrl+Alphabet keys in telnet window, the I2Pd on the other side crashed with a seg fault. It really freaked me out.