[tor-talk] Possible solution to next-gen onion services UX disaster

Jonathan Marquardt mail at parckwart.de
Sun Mar 12 18:30:16 UTC 2017

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 01:50:09PM -0400, Lolint wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just thought about a possible (partial) solution to solve the "UX disaster" of next-gen onion services, namely the very long addresses. Tor Browser already ships with HTTPS
> Everywhere, and one can easily write rules that redirect from http or https to onion services, as an example,
>
> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Forcing_.onion_on_Whonix.org#Adding_the_user_rule
>
> If there was a possibility to add all the famous and most used onion services (facebook
> for example) into those rules then that effectively solves the UX problem for most of these
> onion services, since the user will no longer have to bother about finding the right onion
> addresses.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Thx
>
> --Jeff

You're not exactly the first person to come up with this sort of idea. There
already exist things like this:

https://github.com/Someguy123/hiddeneverywhere

One of the main problems with this of course is that you have yet another list
that needs to be maintained centrally.

There are many ways one could think of to link regular domains their onion
counterparts. I am not sure which would be the best. If you have this as a
browser plugin, you also only solved the problem on the application layer, for
just this one application.

I had the idea once to link domains using TXT records in the DNS, however
given that DNS is not secure at all, I'm not so sure if that's a smart thing
either.
--
4096R/1224DBD299A4F5F3
47BC 7DE8 3D46 2E8B ED18  AA86 1224 DBD2 99A4 F5F3