[tor-talk] Is the recent growth in Ukrainian users confusing google's geoip?

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Sun Jun 18 12:05:11 UTC 2017

On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 10:50:27 +0000, Alec Muffett wrote:
> On 18 June 2017 at 06:39, Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu> wrote:
> Or, indeed, there are people whose self-declared Google-account country of
> residence is Ukraine, and enough of them have been logging into Google from
> the exit node IP addresses for Google's geolocation tier to start
> generalising.

A long time ago I used a VPS in switzerland (which I had for
other reasons) to get around the youtube/GEMA debacle in germany.
Once accidentally use the browser without proxy, and poof,
the proxy wasn't good for that anymore.

Would be really nice if youtube wouldn't just say 'not in your
country', but actually which country it think that is.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>