[tor-talk] Improved sharing of .onion links on Facebook!

Ben Tasker ben at bentasker.co.uk
Fri Jun 16 14:15:15 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 16, 2017 at 8:48 AM, <f55jwk4f at vfemail.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 10:33:19PM +0300, xxx wrote:
> > Considering this and the FB reputation about privacy violations, I even
> > suspect that they are making lists of people using TOR! In short, better
> > connect from a public place with a spoofed MAC address ;)
>
> A spoofed MAC address is to deal with the public place, not Facebook,
> right?  I thought if you connect to some server over IP via a router,
> the server doesn't know your MAC address.

That's correct.

However, there is a caveat here. Applications on your system can check your
MAC address and submit them (for example, Google Play's Music manager does
exactly this -
https://www.bentasker.co.uk/blog/general/292-virtualisation-google-play-music-manager-cannot-identify-your-computer
). So, if you're running the Facebook app on a tablet (for example) this
might be a concern, though at that point there's a whole host of other
identifiers the app could (and might) also grab to identify the hardware.

AFAIK, though, it's not possible to do it in Javascript (ignoring IE and
ActiveX calls) so it _shouldn't_ be a concern when hitting Facebook in a
browser.

Though you might still want to do it for the reasons related to it being a
public place.

> --

Ben Tasker
https://www.bentasker.co.uk