[tor-talk] tor-talk Digest, Vol 77, Issue 9

Seth David Schoen schoen at eff.org
Thu Jun 8 23:59:40 UTC 2017

Suhaib Mbarak writes:

> I'm a master student and doing some researches on TOR . I'm using shadow
> simulator; not real tor network; my goal is only to run an experiment and
> from the output of that experiment I can confess my students that Tor
> really : [...]

It seems to me that one useful possibility is to modify the Tor client so
that it outputs logs of the decisions it makes and the actions it takes,
as well as, maybe, the cryptographic secrets that it uses.  For example,
your modified Tor client could print out how it chose a path, and the
actions that it took to build the path, and the actual encryption keys
that it used in communicating with the nodes along the path.

You could then also use a packet sniffer (or some mechanism for packet
capture if your network is totally virtual) to examine the actual
traffic in your simulated network, and, for example, to decrypt it using
the keys that were logged by the modified client, showing exactly what
information can be seen by someone in possession of each secret key, and
conversely which keys are necessary in order to learn which information.

--
Seth Schoen  <schoen at eff.org>
Senior Staff Technologist                       https://www.eff.org/