[tor-talk] CIA attacking SSH (was tor-talk Digest, Vol 78, Issue 4)

Jim jimmymac at copper.net
Sun Jul 9 06:22:09 UTC 2017

Tom Tom wrote:
> http://thehackernews.com/2017/07/ssh-credential-hacking.html?m=1
>
> This post could be helpful. But how CIA could unveil the encryption?
> Interesting and horrable...

As I understand it they are not attacking the encryption itself. but
rather harvesting the keys from the running (client) machine using
"implants".  The attack vectors for Windows and Linux machines are
different.

Unfortunately I am just left guessing about the word "implant".  Doing
an internet search didn't help me.  My understanding is on Linux systems
the "implant" is a kernel level root kit.  I'd appreciate responses from
anybody having a better grasp of this.

Jim