[tor-talk] TBB initial default UI size overlaps Win task bar

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Jan 5 02:00:10 UTC 2017

Key words are "initial default UI size."
Like many, I've had problems with TBB spoofing the correct screen sizes
to sites like browserspy.dk & panopticlick.eff.org.
The https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9268 - about TBB
screen sizing (rounding, spoofing) says it's closed.

Mike P. commented in #9268, "This bug has drifted. I think we should
open new bugs for remaining issues with the rounding code that aren't
quite a mismash of ancient issues and dead code. Current related bugs
that will remain open are #14098
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/14098>, #14429
<https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/14429>."  I don't know
where to add my findings.

I read through the other 2 (a lot there).  Most details either don't
seem to apply in my case, or described behavior isn't what I'm
experiencing (exactly).

Today, D/L clean 6.0.8 (Win).  Installed clean in new folder.
Left all default settings - didn't even change NoScript settings, for
screen size testing.

1st time started TBB, the *vertical* ht (total) exceeded my 22" WS
monitor - went below Vista's taskbar, by about 27 - 30 px.
My taskbar is "stock" - never resized it - it's ~ 3/8" high.  The very
top TBB's border was perfectly aligned w/ top of my monitor.
Browserspy reported screen size as 1000 px W x about 9xx px H (not an
even number).

To see how far TBB went below the task bar, I unchecked "keep taskbar on
top of applications."
Surprise, when I re-enabled that option, the TBB screen height suddenly
"resized" its height to fit perfectly between top of monitor & top edge
of task bar.  I restarted TBB - again it went below the task bar.
Disabled / re-enabled the taskbar to stay on top & again TBB's height
adjusted to fit between the taskbar & top of monitor.

Then... I restarted TBB again.  This time TBB's bottom border was ~
7/16" *above* the taskbar, with top border still aligned to top of
monitor.  Then Browserspy reported 1000 px W by 729 "available height"
(what ever that means).

1) Does anyone using Windows ever see TBB width AND height reported as
even numbers - or multiples of 100?  If so, what site or tool is
reporting that?

2) For those seeing even H & W multiples, is your TBB usable screen area
*actually* square, or is that just what TBB reports to sites?
My TBB *actual* usable screen is 3" wider than tall.  That's between
inside of L & R borders; btwn bottom of Nav bar & top of taskbar.

3) Except for amazing coincidence, I'm guessing TBB's total height would
never perfectly fill the space between monitor's top & taskbar's top
edge (and expect a multiple of 100).

4) What's TBB's spoofed screen W : H ratio *supposed to be* (now)? X by
X, in multiples of 100?  So, square?  I can't keep up w/ all the changes.