[tor-talk] Tor and Google error / CAPTCHAs.

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Sat Feb 11 01:29:25 UTC 2017

On 2017-02-09 23:40, grarpamp wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Alec Muffett <alec.muffett at gmail.com> wrote:
>> a) I like the idea of Google giving you "one free search" and from that
>> trying to determine whether you are an "asshole" after which it lightens up
>> with the oppression
> That's fine, if implemented well, because the 'one free' is the
> same as 'account creation', everyone gets a chance, then
> there's other metrics applied after you're in to continually
> evaluate further addition / subtraction of oppression.

I like the idea in theory, but in practice in the case of Tor where all
users are intentionally identical and any user can become a new user any
time, the difference between "one free" and "all free" is clicking the
"new identity" button (or more likely, just dumping cookies).

 From an abuse handling standpoint, it becomes nearly impossible to
identify whether user is on their first "free" shot or not. Worse, this
is a feature, not a bug.

The only real fix is to apply a cost to making the first-free, be it an
account creation/login, captcha, or similar, which I think takes us full
circle and defeats the point?