[tor-talk] Is DNS required to connect to an entry node?

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Thu Aug 17 20:12:39 UTC 2017

On 08/17/2017 01:02 PM, blobby at openmailbox.org wrote:
> Quick Question:
>
> The node JPsi2 has an IP address of 37.200.99.251 and a host name of j60204.servers.jiffybox.net.
>
> Does connecting to this node require DNS resolution? I assume not. I imagine that I request a connection to the IP address (not to the domain name).
>
> Yes?

Every time you enter a URL in the browser address line, your browser
requests the IP address of that URL from the DNS server.  You can
instead enter the IP address yourself along with the webpage requested.
You could also just make your own entry in a HOSTS file if you know how
to do it.  Caveat, do not mess with HOSTS unless you know what you are
doing!

Tom
--
"There are lies, damned lies and alternative facts!"
-- me  (with apologies to Mark Twain)