[tor-talk] torproject package repository

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Aug 10 00:35:31 UTC 2017

Looking at https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en, it mentions
the repository deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org
<DISTRIBUTION> main.
Where distribution is the code name of the distro.
Is the only package from this repo Tor itself and not Tor Browser? If it
does host Tor Browser, would the package also work for Mint 18.1 Serena?

However, the Torproject repo is / was already entered under "additional
repositories" in my software manager and the signing key.
It must have been added by the distro, as I didn't know this torproject
repo existed.

But the only package that shows up in Mint's software manager is
"torbrowser-launcher", maintained by Ubuntu Developers
<ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com>.
I was curious if anyone used this torbrowser-launcher, or if Torproject
devs would highly frown on it?

Its description:  "helps download & install torbrowser." Doesn't mention
anything about it verifying TBB signature, which I always do.

This is the description:

"When you first launch Tor Browser Launcher, it will download TBB from
https://www.torproject.org/ and extract it to ~/.local/share/torbrowser,
and then execute it.
Cache and configuration files will be stored in ~/.cache/torbrowser and
~/.config/torbrowser.
Each subsequent execution after installation will simply launch the most
recent TBB, which is updated using Tor Browser's own update feature.
where TBB would be installed."