[tor-talk] tbb (disable network is set)

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Tue Apr 4 16:30:46 UTC 2017

On 04/04/2017 10:01 AM, 0xdog wrote:
>> Tor browser may do this if your uplink gets interrupted at a particular
>> stage in getting the network consensus. I believe that it's a defense
>> against attempts to force use of malicious relays. The simplest fix is
>> to delete and reinstall Tor browser, after saving bookmarks if desired.
>> Or you could manually reset the flag.
>
> I have deleted/reinstalled TBB many times and even updated TBB version
> any time there is a new one.  I have edited torrc file but when I
> start TBB again the DisableNetwork 0 line is deleted. Could you please
> explain me the correct way to do this? I have the same results using
> Custom Bridges for obfs4. Here are the whole logs:

Yes, adding "DisableNetwork 0" to torrc doesn't seem to work. I just
nuked the state file. But if the problem reoccurs after reinstalling Tor
browser, there must be something else causing it. If obfs4 bridges don't
help, I'm rather at a loss.

Is there another uplink that you could test on? Alternatively, you could
try connecting through a VPN. If either eliminates the problem, you know
that your normal uplink is at fault.

<SNIP>