[tor-talk] is it me or did tor talk get really quiet?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Wed Sep 28 00:27:16 UTC 2016

On 9/26/2016 7:07 PM, Moritz Bartl wrote:
> On 09/26/2016 09:02 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>> Some may say they still get several tor-talk emails / day  and I do, too.
>>
>> But several current, relevant technical questions I've asked about Tor
>> issues get no comments.
>> Questions I'm pretty sure a lot of people would be interested in. And
>> that at least some advanced users would have partial answers or
>> suggestions for, but not a peep.
>> This is in stark contrast to the past on this list.
>>
>> At times, it almost seems that many knowledgeable people gave up or moved.
>> Need to find where the cool kids are hanging. :)
> Some of it has moved to more specific lists like
> https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-onions and
> know you, Joe, are aware of that, but others who follow this thread
> might not be so I wanted to mention it.

Thanks Moritz.  I was aware of some, but not all.  I'm a bit confused.
The subject matter for tor-onions and tor-relays lists are pretty obvious/./

But the tor-project link says,
"About tor-project
Moderated discussion list for tor contributors..."  [ellipsis is included]

/"How do I get permission to post to tor-project@
Just ask. Anyone is allowed to watch, but *posting is restricted* to
those that actively want to make Tor better."/

What does "for tor [Sic] contributors" mean, exactly, or "those that
actively want to make Tor better?"

Is tor-project list not for fairly advanced users, or bug filers, or
those giving more to the community than just asking questions (but never
contribute useful input)?  Or is it only for devs or people providing
highly technical input (e.g., providing code suggestions or highly
technical bug work arounds, etc.)?

Is tor-talk now for the most basic beginner questions / answer /
discussion?  If still for technical issues and fairly technical people
rarely visit it, there may be mostly questions & few answers.  Is this
partly because on tor-talk, numerous times that unmoderated discussions
strayed from Tor issues?