[tor-talk] Tor and Google error / CAPTCHAs.

Alec Muffett alec.muffett at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 21:33:10 UTC 2016

On 25 September 2016 at 19:14, Alec Muffett <alec.muffett at gmail.com> wrote:

> An organisation's response to scraping seems typically the product of:
>
> 1) the technical resources at its disposal
> 2) its ability to distinguish scraping from non-scraping traffic
> 3) the benefit to the organisation of sieving-out and handling the
> non-scraping traffic, rather than ignoring it all

Just to reinforce this a bit, it's not only the biggest/hugest names:

    Why does @Airbnb not allow connections over Tor?
    https://twitter.com/dosch/status/777602410978086912 (and thread)

I haven't actually tested this "block", nor do I have any special knowledge
of Airbnb, but I would expect them to suffer similarly from scraping & spam
sourced by people of bad intention who use Tor to hide their tracks.

I believe that I suggested "outreach", and perhaps "charm", as being
beneficial for turning companies from "victims of Tor" into "evangelists
for Tor"? :-) <hint/>

    - alec

--
http://dropsafe.crypticide.com/aboutalecm