[tor-talk] Tor-friendly email provider

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Sep 23 21:54:55 UTC 2016

On 9/22/2016 1:00 PM, Oskar Wendel wrote:

> gmx.com doesn't want me to register: "Your registration could not be
> processed at the moment. Please try again later."
>
> gmx.net seems to blacklist Tor, too:
>
>     Registrierung leider nicht moglich!
>
>     Sie haben versucht, sich mit der IP-Adresse 77.247.181.162
>     bei GMX zu registrieren.
>
>     Diese IP-Adresse ist nicht zugelassen.
>
> Whatever it means, but it looks like "you are using Tor, so flick off".
>
> - From the link provided by nusenu:
>
> Sigaint doesn't allow pop3/smtp unless you buy a pro account, which is
> quite expensive...
>
> mailbox.org allows only 30 days for free.
>
> riseup.net is the provider I'm using currently, but I'm not happy with
> it and that's why I'm looking for another one...
>
> mail.ru is in Russian, too... any way to switch to English?
>
> mail2tor, according to the site, is not very reliable.
>
> bitmessage.ch doesn't seem to allow creating custom addresses.
>
> Doesn't look good, maybe it's time to learn Russian...

I don't think GMX allows using Tor, but they don't offer anything
special - as to privacy, security.  They're not a lot different than
most others - anymore.
What is it about Riseup that you don't like?  Just curious.  I've not
used it, but most people seem to like it.

Unseen.is - located in Iceland is a more privacy conscious provider.
I've created an acct using TBB in the past.  They don't - or didn't -
keep logs or store messages after you delete them.
They offer end to end encryption - between Unseen users, using their own
app loaded on computers.  They'll keep encrypted messages on their
server, if you want.  It's proprietary encryption, which some don't like
(can't be independently tested).  They claim they intentionally never
have the private key, so no LEAs can force them to decrypt or hand over
messages.

I'm not sure that independent testing of encrypton or software is as
relevant today, if - - avoiding state players is a main concern. For
protection against _non-government criminals_ (see what I did there?),
independent testing is important.  Even the largest universities' or
security firms' resources are tiny compared to the time, money, talent
and computing power that nations put towards cracking encryption, paying
for or coercing back doors, or finding exploitable software bugs.  I'm
sure governments have made huge advances since Snowden's papers in 2013,
that we probably will never hear about.