[tor-talk] Image EXIF data used to geolocate

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Sep 22 17:49:47 UTC 2016

On 9/22/2016 9:46 AM, bancfc at openmailbox.org wrote:
> Pretty basic opsec fail but I wonder if mapping out tags was a good
> idea. Imagine tagging a city that has a handful of Tor users. They
> should have consulted the Tor Research Ethics process.
When it's important not to reveal location or other data stored in
images' EXIF info, remove the EXIF data.  Couple of mouse clicks in many
image viewers.
Save as new image, then send or post.

See image viewers_editors like Irfan View, XnView & others for details
on  typical EXIF data and removing it.
These editors also make it very easy to edit out unwanted parts of
images, that might help narrow down a location (landmarks, native
vegetation), time of day, time of year.

See sites like this, explaining some of it:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-to-remove-exif-metadata-from-photos-and-why-you-might-want-to/
Types of data stored in EXIF (though my camera stores more than
mentioned on this site):
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/exif-photo-data-find-understand/

Many modern cameras / phones, allow disabling the recording of geo
location data with images .
But often still records in EXIF data the device brand & model, date and
all technical specs about the image.  Some of that data might narrow a
list of suspects to owners of specific devices, or coincide with dates
they were in specific, identifiable locations.

 From what I've read, it's less common that devices allow totally
disabling storing all EXIF data with images.