[tor-talk] Senior US District Judge Leon Jordan rules against FBI in PlayPen case

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Thu Oct 27 01:19:12 UTC 2016

On 10/26/2016 06:09 AM, ITechGeek wrote:
> The way I read that, it didn't seem like a victory since the judge is still
> allowing people to be prosecuted (granted some of them deserve it), but the
> judge said the FBI needed a warrant in the local jurisdiction of the raids
> and they didn't.

Yes, that's the victory. It didn't help the defendant, but if it stands,
the FBI can't so easily troll at the national level, without any
evidence. They'd need to mount an actual national investigation, get
appropriate federal warrants, and so on.

But of course, the NSA does whatever it likes. And then parallel
construction. So this is arguably an illusory victory.

Also, by the way, is there any evidence about how the FBI identified the
Playpen server? Did it perhaps come from the CMU attacks? Or maybe from
incriminating TorMail obtained from Freedom Hosting?