[tor-talk] Hardened Tor Browser for Windows

Jon Tullett jon.tullett at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 11:06:13 UTC 2016

On 18 October 2016 at 03:18, Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
> On 10/17/2016 06:50 PM, I wrote:
>>

>>> Running Tor on Windows makes little sense,
>>
>> Didn't Roger ask for more operating system diversity and mention Windows?
>
> Maybe he did. Cite?
>
> But nevertheless, in my opinion, Windows is too snoopy.

For the record, I'm not personally opposed to the telemetry in
Windows, in context. But I am curious whether the data gathered by
Microsoft could deanonymize a Tor user by, eg, pinpointing Tor usage
within a specific time frame, given a number of assumptions about an
observer's ability to correlate multiple visits to a surveilled site
and so on. I imagine Microsoft would not willingly divulge such info
("tell us everything about everyone using Tor at these moments" isn't
much of a warrant) but the possibility is what interests me.

My guess is that the answer is probably no, at least not practically,
but I wouldn't want to stake my life on it.

-J