[tor-talk] Tor honeypot

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Wed Oct 12 15:43:44 UTC 2016

Flipchan wrote:
>  So something that listens on port 9001 and logs all incoming request
> just to see if there is anything scanning for Tor ports and trying to
> hack them, has this been done? Would be cool to look at the data from
> that if anyone got a link. I cant be able to find something like this
> online:/

Hi there,

   One of the cooler projects like this was Roya's active probing
research on the Great Firewall[1].  In her case, she ran a private
bridge (not distributed, only for her research use), connected to the
bridge once from within China, then watched for new connection attempts.
  She also ran a packet capture for a day to help find patterns (as,
again, no one's traffic passed through except hers).  And it's easy to
run a service on port 9001, do the connection, then remove the service
if you don't want to use tor.  =)

   There are lots of misc scans going on, which mostly seem to be
curiosity.  Whenever an interesting/weird piece of malware comes out
(which opens a rando port), I will occasionally do a scan to see how
many machines may be infected.  Funny story: after an NSA backdoor
report came out, I found that millions of devices had that port open via
a scan.  After a brief freakout, I investigated further and found that a
popular "smart TV" used the same port. :D  All of this to say, of
course, that the follow-up investigating and research matter a lot heh.

~Griffin

[1]
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~rensafi/projects/active-probing/index.html

--
Accept what you cannot change, and change what you cannot accept.
PGP: 0x03cf4a0ab3c79a63