[tor-talk] Tor and Google error / CAPTCHAs.

Jon Tullett jon.tullett at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 11:50:39 UTC 2016

On 7 October 2016 at 13:21, Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:
> Reddit, in contrast, is a total free-for-all

It really varies. Some subreddits are VERY heavily moderated, some are
completely open, most are somewhere in between. Your experience of
reddit is probably quite personal and likely to be different from any
other user. It's a big space. That's kinda off-topic, but it's
relevant in the bigger picture, I think.

It's been very interesting, over the last couple of decades, to
observe the changing attitudes to censorship and control in online
communities. For me it started in the days of BBS and Usenet, and
thereafter different communities evolved in very different ways.
Community norms in areas like community policing, netiquette, topic
enforcement, language, personal privacy...all became very different,
and vastly more varied. And, of course, we have rather different
attitudes from law enforcement/intelligence to those communities and
their platforms, and very different commercial ideas too.

I find tracking that historical change to be useful because it reminds
me that our expectations in the future will be different too. Our
notions of privacy and security, for example, are far from static; we
can't take a snapshot of the market today and assume it's either
inherently "correct" (for some definition), nor unchanging. In
context, I'm interested in how that affects the evolution of
communities/services like Tor.

-J