[tor-talk] problem reinstalling NoScript

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Wed Oct 5 02:03:35 UTC 2016

In TBB 6.0.5 (Win), NoScript 2.9.0.14 it seemed to be misbehaving.
It wasn't showing many trackers in the icon drop list, on sites where
there would be plenty.
I UNchecked "Allow Scripts Globally."

I uninstalled it - closed TBB.  Removed  NoScript entries in pref.js &
restarted TBB, then reinstalled fresh NS copy - 2 separate times.
Didn't fix it.
TBB has an "extensions-overrides.js" file in Partition (X):\Program
Files\Tor Browser 4.5.3\Tor
Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Data\Browser\profile.default\preferences,
that replaces some of NS default settings.  It also removes default
whitelisted sites that Giorgio added (lots of google sites & others -
google.com, gstatic.com, etc.).

Removing the whitelisted sites via extensions-overrides.js shouldn't
cause them not to show in the NS icon drop list  Besides, it wasn't only
the removed NS whitelist trackers not displaying.

In TBB, NS  hardly showed any trackers (Allow Scripts Globally still
unchecked).  But did show them under the Untrusted grouping, but none
were marked untrusted (that's normal).
On the same pages in Firefox there were many trackers.
I compared TBB's reinstalled NS settings to Firefox - appear almost the
same.  I doubt the 2 differences I found  caused the problem?

I got NS in TBB to display all trackers - no real clue.  In TBB, under
Advanced>Trusted, the "Cascade Top Document's permissions to 3rd party
scripts" was checked... but *none* of the pages I loaded had *base
domain* scripts allowed - I checked (so that shouldn't have caused the
problem).  I unchecked the "Cascade..." option, anyway.  Maybe there's a
bug w/ those 2 settings in NS?

The only other NoScript diff  in Fx & TBB was Appearance tab > "Allow"
was checked in one & not the other.  I made them the same.  I can't see
that causing this issue either.
Tried some new sites & both browsers show the same trackers - for now.

Anyone seen a similar NoScript problem or any clues what caused trackers
not to show up, based on what I found?