[tor-talk] Will Quantum computing be the end of Tor and all Privacy?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Nov 28 17:03:50 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 05:44:15PM +0100, Flipchan wrote:
> I dont think so, quantum 4times at fast so we just need to generate 4times as strong keys the entropy will just be bigger, But as Long as we are not useing like 56 bit des keys its okey

No, it's way more complicated than this.

The main area where we want to become quantum-resistant is in the circuit
level handshake. Once we've got that one sorted out, the rest of the
places we use crypto are not as important.

See
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/proposals/269-hybrid-handshake.txt
and
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/proposals/270-newhope-hybrid-handshake.txt