[tor-talk] What is required in order to view YouTube HTML5 in TorBrowser?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Thu Nov 3 18:21:46 UTC 2016

On 11/3/2016 12:56 AM, maddonkeykong at Safe-mail.net wrote:
> What is required in order to view YouTube HTML5 in TorBrowser?

You don't have to allow all scripts on YT's site.  To view in TBB -
directly off youtube, you'll have to allow youtube.com, ytimg.com &
googlevideo.com.  The latter sometimes only appears in NS menu *after*

> (1) Yes, I know about youtube-dl and it works and is nice but it's a PITA to use when you want to browse quickly from video to video
It's one of the only ways if you don't want to allow any scripts in a
browser.  The safest way is to d/l a file, then go offline  before viewing.

You can try forcing VLC or such thru Tor network by entering Tor's port
#.  But, depending on the software & its version, there's always a risk
of Torrified software leaking data or not strictly using the Tor
network.  I'm not an expert on using VLC or any other for this.  There
may be a way to configure it to generally stay inside Tor network, but
there's always a chance a "special" file, or some updates in the program
could cause problems.

Part depends on what type / level of anonymity you need here. Consider
the site operator - possible adversary:  *Google*.
An independent site - Bob's Crazy Sloth videos.com - if it's legit &
hasn't been hacked, may not be much worry.
If any non-government entity on the planet has the resources to exploit
weaknesses to identify you, it'd be Google.