[tor-talk] Tor Design : Differents keys used for connection.

Brieuc Barthélemy bri at fatcha.be
Thu May 19 20:13:54 UTC 2016

Hello all,

This is my first post.

I have a question regarding the article "Tor: the Second-Generation Onion
Routeur" [ http://www.onion-router.net/Publications/tor-design.pdf ] , I
would like some clarification. It would be fantastic if you could help me :)

In point 4 (Page 4) the article talks about differents keys:
- A long term identity key: to sign TLS certificate, OR route descriptor
and to sign directories.
- A short-term onion key: used to decrypt requests from users.
- Ephemerals keys ( first words on page 5 )
- And "link keys" for TLS communication.

My question is: do you think the last two of them ( Ephemerals and link
eyes ) are the same one ?
Because I don't find any clear informations about those "ephemerals"

Thanks for reading me.

Brieuc Barthélemy