[tor-talk] 'Refresh tor browser' - and then it wasn't one anymore.

eliaz eliaz at riseup.net
Thu May 5 15:20:53 UTC 2016

> On 5/4/2016 1:00:36 AM, Andreas Krey (a.krey at gmx.de) wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> I just had the TBB ask me something to the lines
> of 'refresh tor browser?', and I sleepily said
> yes, and now the browser apparently has lost
> the addon that is the tor process underneath,
> and just says 'the proxy server is refusing
> connections'.
>
> (I was already annoyed often enough by
> this 'feature' in plain firefox, but
> here it seems that it might leave
> users without connectivity.)

I have that problem too, with a bridge running in the tor browser under
windows. I have to is to save the torrc,  delete the tor browser,
reinstall it anew, replace torrc, and restart. This is really a pain, I
lose bridge flags whenever I install a browser or OS update.

This doesn't happen when I run a tor client. There the browser updates
go fine, the browser restarts itself as expected. - eliaz