[tor-talk] CloudFlare blog post

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Thu Mar 31 05:25:04 UTC 2016

On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 15:19:09 +0000, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
> At times, Cloudflare or some sites may say, "Gee, whiz - we're not
> blocking TBB intentionally.  We're working on a solution."
> But I don't buy that  100%.  It's possibly just a politically correct
> excuse vs. saying, "We can't track you around the globe / make $, so we
> don't want you taking up bandwidth or other resources (like site tech
> support, etc.).

It would be quite a lot of effort to do that this way, especially since
the (preliminary) outcome is the same - sorry, it won't work any better.

What I wonder is how they want to make a difference using .onion addresses
for their customers - tor crawlers can take that redirect just so.

> And for all the other sites that don't use Cloudflare (or other
> unsolvable captchas), but don't block TBB, if _"90+% of all Tor traffic
> attempts something malicious_," then how in the world do all those sites
> stay in  business / stay up & running?

90% of tor traffic isn't 90% of total traffic. Also, e.g. those sites
will just see that the email addresses they publish are getting spammed,
but they won't even make the connection to crawling via tor.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>