[tor-talk] Extend auto-IP-switching-time in TorBrowser (and depending from time of inactivity)

Ben Stover bxstover at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 11:12:07 UTC 2016

Hello Paul (and others),

the problem is for example when I login into a remote mailbox through TorBrowser then the mail box provider
see my IP (=IP of ExitNode).

Since I often stay longer than 10 minutes in my remote mailbox an IP switch happens during my mailbox login session.
Unfortunately a lot of mailbox provider setup smart "security session procedures".
As soon as they detect an IP switch they force the user to re-login again (at minimum).

Even worse: Some mail providers consider an account and password break and force the user to "verify" that
they are really to owner of the account with a long-winded confirmation procedure.
This could happen when only changing the country as well.
Very annoying.

So the easiest way to prevent these situation would be to keep the current Tor circuit (or at least the ExitNode).

>From what I read so far a "keep-circuit-instruction" is currently not possible.

Why not offering the user such a (torrc) option? So its up to him if he wants an extended circuit-session-time or not.

Ben