[tor-talk] Orbot

libertyinperil at riseup.net libertyinperil at riseup.net
Tue Mar 22 17:10:34 UTC 2016

Guardian Project does not seem to be supporting Orbot.  Sent two emails
to Support which were ignored.  After several factory resets, however,
was finally able to download Orbot from the Guardian Project to the RCA
tablet via direct download.  When you click on Browser, a window appears
instructing the user Orfox is not installed and would the user wish to
install it?  If you click No, the Tor page comes up saying “This is not
Tor” and the IP is not changeable.  If you click Yes, Orfox does not
download.  Nothing happens.

If you click VPN, Tor does properly start.  If you swipe the onion, the
IP changes.  When you check the IP, the Tor page comes up with
contradictory messages.  On the top of the page it says,
“Congratulations.  This browser is configured to use Tor.”  On the
bottom of the very same page it says, “However, it does not appear to be
Tor Browser.”

If you check further through Downloads, it states VPN mode is
experimental and data may be shared elsewhere throughout the network
obliterating privacy.  What network?  If you disable VPN, and swipe the
Tor onion, the IP does not change and you cannot browse.  If you enable
VPN and go to any URL, the browser does access the URL.  How can I be
sure, however, it is actually Tor that's doing the browsing and not the
generic browser on the droid actually doing the browsing and then
calling home to Google?  -- You cannot uninstall the generic browser.
Just disable it.  You can uninstall Chrome and I have done so.

Have subsequently uninstalled as many of the droid apps as the machine
would allow.  Since the droid does provide a guest user function,
however, how can I be sure that even with all the apps uninstalled
and/or disabled on owner mode of operation, the tablet is still not
“calling home?”  Does Orfox need to be installed and operational for
Orbot to properly work?  If so, how do I get the droid tablet to
properly download it instead of ignoring the request when the Yes icon
is clicked?

So far, this tablet is no more than a paper weight.  Cannot be trusted
for anything other than downloads of news sites and other URLs that do
not require log in.  None of the droid user groups seems to be current.
Are several years old and not currently operational.  Worse, have not
been able to find any truly comprehensive guide online regarding the
droid operating system.  Intend to continue working on these issues.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.  Libertyinperil.