[tor-talk] Traffic shaping attack

krishna e bera keb at cyblings.on.ca
Sat Mar 19 21:33:02 UTC 2016

On 03/19/2016 07:02 AM, Oskar Wendel wrote:
> Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu>:
>> The third question you might ask is: can I inject these signals in a
>> way that they're still recognizable to me, but observers don't realize
>> that anything weird is going on with the traffic? That is, can I do
>> this active traffic modulation attack but still be undetectable?
>
> Some observers will realize and stay safe, but some people will not
> realize and get caught...
>
> This is not a theoretic attack. This is something that has been noticed
> on one of illegal sites and I expect many busts around the globe in the
> coming weeks.
>
>> http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#ndss09-rainbow
>> http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#ndss11-swirl
>> http://freehaven.net/anonbib/#pets13-flow-fingerprints
>
> The swirl seems to describe just that...

What evidence have you seen?
Is there any way for the Tor network or a certain number of relay
operators to interfere with an ongoing swirl attack?
Tor has to embrace net neutrality if it is to survive.  An ongoing
attack on its nodes and users should be countered if possible by every
legal and technical means available.