[tor-talk] .onion name gen

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Fri Mar 4 20:23:43 UTC 2016

On 03/04/2016 01:03 PM, Andreas Krey wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 19:55:01 +0000, Flipchan wrote:
>> IF i generate a .onion domain , isnt there a risk that someone can generate the same domain? I mean anyone can generate .onion domains and IF i got an easy .onion address then some could easily generate that rsa key right?
>
> There is no 'easy' onion address, only ones that look like they
> are. Faking facebookcorewwwi takes the same effort as any other.
> Getting an onion that starts with facebook but does not end in
> corewwwi is much easier (by the factor 1099511627775), but that
> is true for any other eight character prefix as well.
>
> Andreas

OK, but let's say that someone got facebookcorewwwi.onion, running
scallion on some mega-GPU monster. It's hugely improbable, I know. And
they'd have a different private key, of course. But how would Tor handle
that? Would it work like running multiple onion copies does now? That
is, would they compete for HSDir priority?