[tor-talk] Tor is anti-censorship software

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Thu Jun 23 15:10:36 UTC 2016

Seriously?  I spent some time trying to parse Juan's various messages
yesterday to try to understand his point of view ... if you remove all
of the insults and snide remarks the only concrete position I could
discern was that he was legit upset over the marketing/PR approach of
the Tor project. He wants the Tor project to do better messaging to make
it clear that Tor can't protect anyone who may be facing an adversary
with nation-state levels of technical resources. He feels strongly that
the project should not advertise or promise "anonymity" given that it's
pretty clear now that someone with significant resources and technical
assets can de-cloak individual Tor users who catch their attention.

I actually sort of agree with that argument but sadly it was lost amidst
a deluge of venomous words - the same sort of aggressive "you are all
just useful idiots of the DOD/NSA" word salad stuff that causes people
to hit the delete key right away. And 100% a contribution to worsening
signal-to-noise ratio on this list.

Beyond suggesting that the project do better PR/Marketing about the real
levels of privacy/anonymity offered I can't think of any other useful
point raised. Everything else was just a rehash of what you hear from
people who think the projects origin, backers and developers make it
unsuitable for use by anyone at any time. Not new and not interesting at
all.

My $.02 of course