[tor-talk] Question for those who say "Tor is pwned"

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 00:20:54 UTC 2016

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 18:52:17 -0500
Anthony Papillion <anthony at cajuntechie.org> wrote:

> On 6/20/2016 6:39 PM, juan wrote:
> >
> >  by-the-way
> >
> > http://www.ohmygodel.com/publications/usersrouted-ccs13.pdf
> >
> > Users Get Routed: Traffic Correlation on Tor by Realistic
> > Adversaries
> >
> > "Tor is known to be insecure against an adversary that can observe
> > a user’s traffic entering and exiting the anonymity network."
> >
> > "Our analysis shows that 80% of all types of users may be de-
> > anonymized by a relatively moderate Tor-relay adversary within six
> > months. Our results also show that against a single AS adversary
> > roughly 100% of users in some common locations are deanonymized
> > within three months (95% in three months for a single IXP).
> > Further, we find that an adversary controlling two ASes instead of
> > one reduces the median time to the first client de-anonymization by
> > an order of magnitude: from over three months to only 1 day for a
> > typ- ical web user; and from over three months to roughly one month
> > for a BitTorrent user.
>

> So basically you're saying that Tor is actually pretty darn secure if
> you don't use it every single time you connect to the Internet or for
> extended periods of time?

	Well, if you want to completely misunderstand the statement,
	you are free to do so. And I'm not saying it, I'm quoting
	somebody else. I suggest you bother to find out who the
	authors of the 'paper' are.

	But, anyway, let me point out that while casual users may be
	'darn secure', the 'hidden' servers inside the .onion space
	 are obviously not.