[tor-talk] "But he does good work." *Appelbaum*

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Mon Jun 20 15:48:41 UTC 2016

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 00:46:35 +0000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > so they are all government agents/assets then in a grand conspiracy
> > against one person?
>
> "all"?!! Please!
>
> Classic dichotomy thinking! "It must be saintliness or abject evil."

"all the accusers". If a sizeable (or mostly, 'existing') fraction
of them are not coerced by gov in a conspiracy then those report
actual bad things (or might be mistaken).

> Can someone be human, make mistakes yet be constructive in this world,

Yes. Nothing to do with the topic.

> Most of us are mostly in self imposed mind prisons, self censoring,
> endlessly bound in dichotomies, failing to bring empathy (a common
> Westerner failing these days), failing to bring nuance to our
> conversation, just leaping on a black or white lynch mob train.

Classic dichotomy thinking, to quote you. When I assume that
Jake did what he is accused of, and even if I state so, that
does not make me 'leaping on a lynch mob train'.

It's just that bringing empathy to Jake does not mean I have
to find the accusations ungrounded, or a conspiracy.

And of course the most stupid people on 'net are usually the
loudest, re 'mob'.

> If you only have a feeling, or assumption, or "well he's the most likely
> one", then YES, that IS a violation of due process, due care to one
> another, due consideration of the types of conversations and society/
> community we want to live in, to create by our conversations for our
> children to live in.

Your 'due process' still seems to be grounded in courts, and nowhere else.
How should 'due process' look like if someone is doing thing that are not
criminal, yet are not considered acceptable within a community? Where
should that due process happen, if not by discussion in places like this?

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>