[tor-talk] Food for thought

foodforthought at sigaint.org foodforthought at sigaint.org
Sat Jun 18 22:22:21 UTC 2016

>> -) What is not criminal can still be harmful, disrespectful, humiliating
>> or
>> violating consent, just as what is criminal can still be ethical or
>> consensual. Innocent until found guilty misses the mark in this context.
>
> "Innocent until proven guilty" doesn't have to apply only to courts. We
> as a community can also make judgements based on evidence instead of
> juts hearsay.

Hm, making judgements bears other difficulties; in the context of harm,
disrespect or humiliation, of crossed boundaries, how would you define
evidence? And is there consent yet about what counts as evidence? And in
whose interest is it to expatiate upon very harmful behavior anyways?

>> -) If we were living in a community/society of fulfilled people, who
>> feel
>> accepted, approved of and loved by their peers, there would be no such
>> thing as abuse or harassment. But we don't. (Yet?) How do we deal with
>> this discrepancy in a constructive way?
>
> What makes you believe that there wouldn't be abuse and harassment in
> such a community/society?

Belief is a strong word ;-) I call it an assumption or a thought
experiment especially since nothing 100% pure is ever stable in real life
(like, 100% water, for instance). Let me put it into a more simple
analogy: if totalitarian systems foster totalitarian behavior, why
shouldn't respectful systems foster respect? And in case this is your next
question, yes, I see a common pattern in putting others down from a desire
to feel acceptance, approval and love.

> Do you think that all of this is caused solely
> by the environment?

Not sure what you mean by "all of this". If you refer to abuse and
harassment:
Not solely. This would be too easy an explanation for a complex problem,
that is caused by many factors. And mind you, I don't think I know what
the cause is. I am talking about which social structure I think
facilitates and nurtures which social interaction.