[tor-talk] 2 hop mode for people that only want to use Tor for censorship circumvention to conserve bandwidth and decrease latency?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon Jun 13 20:41:42 UTC 2016

On 6/13/2016 2:08 AM, Ben Tasker wrote:

>> And how (many, not all) people tend to believe the worst about most
>> accused persons, regardless of the lack of or thinness of evidence, much
>> less waiting for any legal process?  An interesting but not necessarily
>> admirable human trait.
>> If the accused is a different race than ourselves, it's often worse.
>>   Some people see an accused's face on TV (no evidence yet) & say, "Oh yeah,
>> you can tell s/he's guilty, just by looking." Wow!  Really?  I hope they're
>> not on my jury of "peers" if I'm ever accused.
>>
> As well as the oft-quoted "there's no smoke without fire", or "there must
> be something to it, or the case wouldn't have reached court"

That's true.  Those are colloquialisms, adages - not laws of physics.
The mentality behind those sayings you mentioned are exactly why many
see a mug shot on TV & immediately conclude they're guilty w/ no
evidence or hearing a word from the accused. Most developed countries
have a legal system to determine guilt / innocence.  Definitely
imperfect, but most scholars would say far superior to trial by media or
the internet - guilty until proven innocent.
Yet thousands of times, people are arrested, charged - their face &
accusations plastered everywhere, even convicted - later found they
weren't even in the town / state when crime occurred, or hard evidence
proves others committed the crime.  In spite of ALL those documented
cases, a large % of population still immediately assumes people are
guilty when arrested, or just publicly accused.  We never seem to learn
from mistakes.  Once we hear / see something, it sticks.
USA Today poll in 2003 showed, " *Nearly seven in 10 Americans believe
it is likely that ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein was personally
involved in the Sept. 11 attacks*." USATODAY.com - Poll: 70% believe
Saddam, 9-11 link
<http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-09-06-poll-iraq_x.htm>
A *2014* survey by Fairleigh Dickinson University’s research center,
PublicMind, showed, "of the 964 adults who were sampled in the national
phone survey, 42 percent said that it was "definitely" or "probably"
true that American forces found an active weapons of mass destruction
program in Iraq." http://publicmind.fdu.edu/2015/false/  Weapuns of mass
de-strucshun; nuc-u-lear bombs, huh?

When a prurient or gruesome story breaks, media sensationalizes the
undocumented, unproven accusations.  If later found untrue, it's barely
mentioned.  Almost never discussed how their reputation was ruined, lost
their job / family, used life savings on legal fees, because it doesn't
appeal to the "general public's" baser interests.  If the general public
WAS interested in it, media would run it.

There are scores of documented cases of persons or groups making
extremely serious, false, public claims or filing frivolous lawsuits
against individuals or corporations - later proven undeniably false.
The many examples from The Innocence Project & Wikipedia - wrongly
convicted persons  - barely scratch the surface.   People that tear
themselves away from The Bachelor or Duck Dynasty & have read
psychiatrists &  experts discuss this  in detail - understand the
trauma, immense burden & often financial ruin that the falsely accused
or convicted & their families endure.

I personally knew 2 teachers (separate incidents) accused by *multiple*
students of sexual misconduct (so it had to be true, right?).  On
nothing but uninvestigated claims, they were arrested, booked, faces &
story on TV / papers, one fired.  In both cases -  investigators and /
or teachers' lawyers THEN found it was all fabricated & students fully
admitted they made it all up. Before ever going to trial.  "Sorry."  One
was for revenge for "low grades given."  AFAIK, nothing happened to the
students - old enough to know what they were doing.  One teacher said it
cost much of their life savings hiring attorneys, because they couldn't
risk poor defense by public defenders.  There's no way they could
mentally stand teaching again, even if they paid them 4 times their salary.

I've been told (not researched it), in some countries if you file a
(civil?) lawsuit against someone & lose, you may be  responsible for
their reasonable legal fees?  Perhaps damages, too?  You can't just make
any claims you want w/ impunity.  Throw it against the wall & see what
sticks (as in the U.S. & some countries).