[tor-talk] Bittorrent starting to move entirely within anonymous overlay nets

Aymeric Vitte vitteaymeric at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 11:19:57 UTC 2016

Le 10/06/2016 à 09:49, grarpamp a écrit :
> On 6/9/16, Aymeric Vitte <vitteaymeric at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't care at all what you think about "my stuff"
> Nor do I care to purchase clearnet tools or see people
> spammed for it. Clearnet is noninteresting fossil.

Purchase? Where did you see that we propose something to purchase?

Our only "clearnet" activity is related to protect the bt users
(https://github.com/Ayms/torrent-live), and we indeed sell the dynamic
blocklist for an exaggerated price of 10E/year, the goal being to
increase our processing capabilities/servers and possibly intersect the
lists from different places to make it the shortest possible

Spam? So I should not be talking about my stuff?

>> wrong appreciation/description of it,
> Stuff, model, same diff. I've appreciated the
> description of what it is and how its used.
> Peersm clients interact BT to clearnet to
> shuffle into browserland. Don't care about
> such clearnet use, whether optional or not.
>
> The subject says "entirely within anonymous overlay
> nets", that means ZERO interaction with clearnet,
> other than obviously the overlay itself.

You are reducing the concepts to something marginal. Peersm (Peer Shared
Mesh technology) are global concepts not only used for file sharing
(please see https://github.com/Ayms/node-Tor#convergence, it's used too
by other people like crypto currency projects) that have nothing to do
with clearnet

In the case of the file sharing project there is indeed a "clearnet"
bridge to the bt network, which is optional and supposed to be temporary
because as you know starting a p2p network with nothing inside just
leads to a p2p network without peers, so a non p2p network or easy to
defeat/control

>> I was not referring to this only
>> Apparently you are trying to revive some old concepts that just can't
>> work with bittorrent
> Suggest you define "old concepts" and "newer projects"
> with links.

I think there has been enough discussion about running bt over Tor or
imagining some uses combined with hidden services. If the idea is to use
the real Tor network it will never work, if the idea is to build a
separate one (like Peersm) then it might work, assuming that you of
course do not reuse the bt protocol (or you might end up with
https://github.com/Ayms/torrent-live#deanonymizing-the-vpn-peers , yes
you will dislike it again, undisclosed for now) and probably give up
with the hidden services idea replacing it by something else (like Peersm)

>> "Which is why bittorrent is moving into the overlays", please clarify
>> what you mean
>> why you posted this
> Already did.
>
>> why popcorn time shows up here
> Some people think popcorn time is the only bittorrent app,
> and that where it appears is relavent. I don't.

Sorry, reasking the question, if you wanted to highlight some
significant changes showing that bt is moving to anonymous stuff then I
am really curious to know what it is, coming back to popcorn time some
forks have apparently some ideas to integrate node-Tor but as far as I
know that's only for application/code/API/updates retrieval (and
node-Tor is not open source for now, except the first commit, but we
make exceptions sometimes when people come to us with non
aggressive/dubious thoughts and when we have time to handle it:
http://internetofcoins.org/blog/internet-of-coins-participates-in-peer-shared-mesh-technology)