[tor-talk] RIP Tor

Anthony Papillion anthony at cajuntechie.org
Tue Jun 7 20:07:59 UTC 2016

On 6/7/2016 1:30 PM, Rick Evans wrote:
> Could be Tor is not a honey pot, maybe it is Tar Baby.
>
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 1:12 PM, Not Friendly
> <notfriendly at riseup.net> wrote:

> It doesn't. The Tor haters never miss an opportunity to declare
> Tor "dead". "Oh! It's Tuesday! RIP Tor!". It's often the same crowd
> (or associates of them) that love to declare Tor a honeypot for
> the federal government.
>
> Anyway, I'm just wondering when this list move beyond the recent
> sensationalism and back to actually discussing Tor.
>

>> I do not understand why those people think that Tor is a honeypot
>> by the federal government. It is OPEN SOURCE. If you are by any
>> means worried look at the source code and compile it manually.
>> There is no hiding a backdoor. Unless every relay operator is
>> helping the federal government (which at that point the
>> information would leak) then there isn't a way to backdoor Tor. I
>> don't understand why people do not take the time to research
>> things.
>>
>> -- Not Friendly

Because, I suspect, most of those people couldn't evaluate even the
simplest C++ program for security. It's much easier just to parrot the
controversial "honeypot" line than it is to actually look at the code.
Some of them are just lazy. But then I guess there are legit concerns
surrounding relays. THAT would likely be the easiest point of attack
on the network