[tor-talk] Any updates from Tor Project on ioerror?

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Mon Jun 6 13:58:41 UTC 2016

Chris Dagdigian wrote:
> It's sorta disgusting to see the creep defenders come out in force on
> this list - especially the ones who talk big about anti-establishment
> stuff and post anonymously from privacy friendly ISPs who suddenly and
> magically have decided to start proclaiming their love for the rule of
> law and the need to stay silent until "real proof and evidence is
> provided". How convenient.

   It *is* a bit strange, though not unexpected at this point.  People
are going to believe what they want to believe, and will lean on the
lack of police involvement despite the fact that the number of rape
victims who file a police report is vanishingly small.  Of the couple
dozen friends and family who've spoken to me about their experiences
with sexual assault, only one succeeded in prosecution.  Her rapist was
convicted of "simple assault" (not rape) and got community service with
no sex offender registration.  For raping a thirteen-year-old girl and
offering to plead guilty.  Much ink has been spilled on this topic, so I
won't belabor the point, except to say that this is the trend rather
than an exceptional case.

   Interestingly, this logic seems only to apply to rape survivors.  I
would guess that these same people defend Edward Snowden's decision to
not go to the police about illegal surveillance practices and instead to
talk about his experiences.

   Also, the notion that Tor would be hoodwinked by some
cointelpro/psyop/conspiracy bollocks is quite insulting.

> Got my fingers crossed that the more sensible and rational members of
> this list are staying silent as they often do when the oddballs come
> to play.
>
> My $.02 of course since everyone else has been so free with theirs

   Yeah.  These are quite serious allegations and I'm happy that Tor's
got a legal firm to investigate.  If people take issue with
investigating claims like these, well, that's unfortunate.

best,
Griffin

--
{{disclaimer: this is just my opinion and I don't work for Tor or
represent them in any way}}