[tor-talk] Any updates from Tor Project on ioerror?

Ben Tasker ben at bentasker.co.uk
Mon Jun 6 12:36:29 UTC 2016

> who suddenly and magically have decided to start proclaiming their love
for the rule of law and the need to stay silent until "real proof and
evidence is provided".

Dunno about staying silent, but the creation of that website was a long,
long step over the line IMO.

A site in ioerros name containing multiple allegations with no evidence
provided, a somewhat malicious twitter link and no real re-course for an
easily found response. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever /s

But then, it ties into a bugbear I have with how various legal systems
handle this type of accusation. I 100% understand some alleged victims
might want to remain anonymous (in this and other cases). But given the
harm an allegation (even if unfounded) can wreak on it's own, the accused
should similarly be entitled to anonymity up until the point of conviction.

Other than that I don't like how the whole thing has been pursued (if
that's the right word), personally I'm making no judgement - it's not my
place and there's not nearly enough information available to know whether
there's any truth to it anyway. I'm also not particularly inclined to think
that any evidence should be publicly aired, outside of actual legal
proceedings.

FWIW, though, based on a quick read, I can easily see Nick Farr's story
boiling down to an incompatibility in personas/approaches rather than a
deliberate malicious campaign waged against him. Doesn't mean it was/wasn't
the case.

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 1:17 PM, Chris Dagdigian <dag at sonsorol.org> wrote:

> It's sorta disgusting to see the creep defenders come out in force on this
> list - especially the ones who talk big about anti-establishment stuff and
> post anonymously from privacy friendly ISPs who suddenly and magically have
> decided to start proclaiming their love for the rule of law and the need to
> stay silent until "real proof and evidence is provided". How convenient.
>
> The only sorta good thing is that our little community here appears to
> mirror the tech community at large when it comes to handling claims
> regarding abusive personalities and harassment. The behavior exhibited here
> is the norm, not the exception, minus the tor-specific caveat that
> everything here, always, is a government conspiracy in some way shape or
> form.
>
> Got my fingers crossed that the more sensible and rational members of this
> list are staying silent as they often do when the oddballs come to play.
>
> My $.02 of course since everyone else has been so free with theirs
>

> --

Ben Tasker
https://www.bentasker.co.uk