[tor-talk] Any updates on hardening a Debian VPS?

notfriendly at riseup.net notfriendly at riseup.net
Sun Jun 5 23:31:58 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-05 19:24, I wrote:
> notfriendly,
>
> This was a dig at the list.
> When questions are asked to get help they are told to stop wasting
> list attention and to be relevant or go elsewhere, but look at the
> energy on the list today.
>
> Jacob has contributed to Tor and that is where my interest stops. The
> rest is for the people involved to deal with elsewhere.
> [Sorry to hear what Nick Farr has said.}
>
> However...not wanting to miss an chance to learn
>
> I tried unattended-upgrades but apt-get update and upgrade still had
> to be used.  What is the trick to getting it to automate upgrades?
>
> I've read a bit but still don't know how to set-up iptables.
> Is there a tutorial for setting it up on a system just running Tor?
>
> Everywhere I looked presumes knowledge I don't yet have.
> I imagine I am not the only one.
>
> Robert

The debian wiki gives some good information on setting up
unattended-upgrades (https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades).
DigitalOcean released a tutorial for Ubuntu 12.04 but the same concepts
can be applied since Ubuntu is based on Debian
(https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-a-firewall-using-iptables-on-ubuntu-12-04).
I hope this helps.