[tor-talk] FBI cracked Tor security

Jon Tullett jon.tullett at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 01:14:38 UTC 2016

On 18 July 2016 at 18:15, Spencer <spencerone at openmailbox.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Jon Tullett:
>> you just asked a user to conduct a risk analysis.
>>

> Who else should do it, someone less contextualized to their context?

Context matters. Mirimir was asking for what amounts to a very complex
assessment measuring risk in monetary terms. Anyone who can do that
reliably can get a very high paid job doing so. It's really not
trivial.

Absolutely individuals should conduct their own risk assessments. But
not in those terms. For most consumers, security is not about money.
Going to jail is about freedom and personal safety, not cash. Even
losing data is a balance between losing work (money) and personal
items (sentimental value, not money). Understanding your risk profile,
for most people, actually has relatively little to do with money
(though "losing all my money to phishing" is absolutely a risk to be
considered).

-J