[tor-talk] Which Dns?

Philipp Winter phw at nymity.ch
Mon Jul 18 15:49:22 UTC 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 08:39:02AM +0200, Flipchan wrote:
> Hi all ! Im configuring a new debian server
> Can anyone recommend a good dns server?

I assume this is for a Tor relay?

> i Dont want to use my isp default one, i found one that sounded good
> when i read about it uncensoreddns.Org.  if anyone know of a better
> one let me know :)

If you plan to run an exit relay, you should avoid third party
resolvers.  Google currently gets to see ~35% of all DNS requests coming
out of the Tor network.  We shouldn't hand any organisation such data on
a silver plate.

If you don't want to use your ISP's resolver, I recommend setting up
your own, local DNS resolver such as unbound.  Recent versions of
unbound implement qname minimisation, which is a great feature for exit
relays as it minimises the exposure to some network-level adversaries.

Quoting Peter's quick guide [1] on setting up unbound:

[1] <https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2015-January/006147.html>