[tor-talk] FBI cracked Tor security

Jon Tullett jon.tullett at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 12:00:20 UTC 2016

On 14 July 2016 at 10:41, Mirimir <mirimir at riseup.net> wrote:

> There is an aspect of visiting hostile onion sites that's especially
> problematic: forcing direct clearnet connections that reveal users'
> ISP-assigned IP addresses. It's irresponsible to continue recommending
> only vulnerable setups, especially Tor browser in Windows.

I think we differ there. I don't think it's irresponsible, and I don't
think the configuration is designed to be vulnerable. I do agree
there's room for better awareness, but there's no perfect solution. At
some point people have to take responsibility for their own safety,
and the fact that they're downloading Tor in the first place suggests
they are able to do so.

-J