[tor-talk] FBI cracked Tor security

me at beroal.in.ua me at beroal.in.ua
Thu Jul 14 10:52:33 UTC 2016

On 14.07.16 09:23, Jon Tullett wrote:
> On 14 July 2016 at 01:51, Nick Levinson <nick_levinson at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The FBI reportedly cracked Tor's security to crack a child porn case with over 100 arrests of Tor users.
> I think what you'll find in such cases is that the FBI generally crack
> the servers hosting the illicit material, not Tor itself.
It's still unclear to me whether there is a vulnerability in Firefox, in
Tor Browser, or in Tor.

> There are frequently vulnerabilities in hosting services - content
> platforms, web forums, third-party Javascript libraries, file uploads,
> management interfaces...many sites, darkweb or not, have much broader
> attack surfaces than their owners understand.
Exactly. Bugs in software. Or, as Dijkstra put it, incorrect software.
Users demand more features instead of more correctness because buggy
software is "good enough" and a rare glitch is no problem. Then they
discover that they lost control of their computers.