[tor-talk] tor with vpn

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Tue Jul 5 01:32:16 UTC 2016

On 07/04/2016 08:29 AM, me at beroal.in.ua wrote:
> On 04.07.16 11:48, message wrote:
>> Readers,
>>
>> Can someone please explain if it is possible to use tor with a
>> vpn? The reason is to overcome tor nodes being banned by certain
>> service providers (in this example a blog host).
> You can connect through Tor and (HTTP or SOCKS proxy, but not VPN)
> by "proxychains". I guess, you don't care about proxy kind.

If you're using the plain tor client, you can route a VPN through Tor
by adding these lines to the openvpn .conf file in /etc/openvpn:

socks-proxy 127.0.0.1 9050 /etc/openvpn/up
socks-proxy-retry

The file "up" is rather a bug. It must exist, but can contain just:

foo
bar

If you're using Tor browser, you would add these lines to the openvpn
.conf file:

socks-proxy 127.0.0.1 9150 up
socks-proxy-retry

Better is doing this with VMs as gateways for VPNs and Tor. Because
leaks. But that takes for work, and resources to use it.

Anyway, you must use openvpn in TCP mode, because Tor doesn't route
UDP. Otherwise, you just setup openvpn in the usual way, using the
service daemon (not Network Manager).

You obviously don't want to use a VPN service paid for through a
credit card, or in any other way that associates your identity with
it. Best is using a reputable free VPN, such as SecurityKISS. Setup
the account through Tor, obviously.

Also, it's probably unwise to use Tor browser through a VPN, because
that makes you very unique. Better just use Firefox with Adblock Plus,
Canvas Defender, NoScript, Privacy Badger, RefControl and WebRTC
Control. And block WebGL in NoScript.

Finally, recall that using VPNs through Tor is rather like dancing
with your foot nailed to the floor. The VPN connection prevents Tor
from switching circuits.