[tor-talk] US Federal Court: The Fourth Amendment Does Not Protect Your Home Computer

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Sat Jul 2 03:24:33 UTC 2016

On 6/24/2016 8:39 AM, Allen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 2:19 AM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> https://www.eff.org/files/2016/06/23/matish_suppression_edva.pdf
>>
>> <https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/06/23/2040255/federal-court-the-fourth-amendment-does-not-protect-your-home-computer>
>
> The judge's logic is pretty amusing and shocking at the same time:
> basically, because of all the malware and software vulnerabilities in the
> world, as soon as you connect your computer to the internet, you have no
> reasonable expectation of privacy because your computer is probably going
> to be hacked by someone, and if it just happens to be the FBI who hacks
> your computer, you should have expected that.

By that logic,  when people go to Walmart & there's a very real chance
their car may be broken into, or they might get pick pocketed, then LEAs
shouldn't need a warrant or even probable cause to search their person
or car?

Oh, wait... but they do need a warrant or probable cause in those
cases.  I fail to see the difference.  Going on a "public" internet w/
some dangers is no different than going any other public place.
Appears they're trying the old "boil a frog" trick.
Just take away some constitutional rights - in one specific area. They
won't put up too big a fight.  Many will be too busy watching The
Bachelor to notice.  Later on, we can expand it to searching cars &
houses w/o a warrant (burglars could break into your house - you
should've expected that).