[tor-talk] Onion service discovery

Katya Titov kattitov at yandex.com
Tue Jan 26 11:52:09 UTC 2016

Joshua Hull:
> I've been thinking about how to get onion services transparently
> selected over non-onion services in order to drive adoption. It seems
> to me that a simple strawman proposal would be that before attempting
> to connect to a domain name, do a lookup for a specific type of TXT
> record, ensure it's being served over DNSSEC, and if both things are
> true, prefer that record.

Check out Darkweb-Everywhere, a fork of HTTPS Everywhere, and the
associated email thread:

https://github.com/chris-barry/darkweb-everywhere/releases
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2014-February/032220.html

> However, I can't seem to find much documentation on preferred
> mechanisms for discovering onion services. Is there something similar
> to the scheme I mention above already in use that someone could point
> me to?

Hopefully someone else can answer this. I've run hidden services and
can confirm that they can be discovered, but I'm not sure on the
best/preferred discovery methods.

--
kat