[tor-talk] Escape NSA just to enter commercial surveillance?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Thu Jan 14 18:22:41 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 12:51:31PM -0500, Philipp Winter wrote:
> Logging in to Facebook over Tor reveals your identity, but not your
> location.  Facebook still does not know if you are logging in from
> Angola or Indonesia.  Also, Facebook doesn't get to learn your operating
> system or your browsing history.

Right. Tor provides many different security (anonymity, privacy, safety,
whatever you want to call them) properties, and different users care
most about different properties.

See "part one" of
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/facebook-hidden-services-and-https-certs
where (back in 2014) I addressed exactly this question.

--Roger